Fiber Procurement Assistant
Kronospan/Clarion Boards is seeking a full-time Fiber Procurement Assistant. The primary purpose of the Fiber Procurement Assistant is to assist the Fiber Procurement Manager (FPM) in purchasing the quantity and quality of raw material (chips, sawdust, pulpwood, and hog fuel), necessary for MDF mill production and boiler house consumption.
- Manage fiber purchases from the assigned procurement area, including establishing supplier contacts, pricing, and contracts.
- Monitor fiber purchases (volume & pricing) in the assigned procurement area, to provide FPM accurate delivery information.
- Inform Accounting and FPM on all new supplier contracts and contract changes.
- Maintain cost effective fiber deliveries to continually maximize profits.
- Assist FPM with planning fiber purchases and inventory levels.
- Deliver timely fiber purchases for mill operations, while maintaining quality specifications and assuring desired inventory levels
- Complete chip and pulp wood inventory and report in ERP System.
- Complete FSC Controlled Wood audits as necessary.
- Maintain and update ERP System, supplier price list, and pulp wood supplier list.
- Maintain monthly fuel adjustment for assigned suppliers.
- Maintain job source sheets for all pulpwood and field fiber sources.
- Maintain database of all Fiber Procurement supplier insurance certificates.
- Inform scale-house of new supplier deliveries to assure all deliveries are received according to contracts.
- Ability to foresee potential slowdowns in the market and respond in a timely manner to maintain desired inventory levels.
- Work to maintain proper inventory levels that allow the plant to rotate bins and keep enough inventory to allow chips to acclimatize prior to needing to use them.
- Interact with a wide variety of suppliers; forming, promoting, and building on existing supplier relationships is a crucial part of the success of this position to assure consistent quality fiber deliveries.
- Bachelors' degree in any of the following fields preferred: forestry, wood science, wood technology, accounting, business finance, law, contracts, purchasing, industrial management, quantitative methods, or equivalent work experience.
- Familiar with and the ability to support FSC (Forest Stewardship council) certification.
- Working knowledge of timber harvesting operations, familiar with sawmill operations, and lumber markets.
- Possess a valid driver's license and the ability to travel to various sawmills, pulpwood yards, and forestry jobs in varying weather conditions.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Project)
- The ability to bend, lift, stand, kneel, and move for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to utilize appropriate equipment and tools.
- Excellent attendance record
- 3 years of prior work experience in purchasing
and or in the wood industry
- Strong negotiating skills