Reporting to the VP of Resources, this position provides the supervision, leadership, mentorship and oversight of the Resources Department in Kane, PA. This includes forest management, timber and log procurement, Oil, Gas & Mineral (OGM) management, log sales, maintenance of an expansive GIS database, annual forest inventory plots and inventory calculations. The Collins Pennsylvania Forest (CPF) is comprised of 118,000 acres of primarily hardwood stands in northwestern Pennsylvania. The primary ownerships are Collins company lands (92,000 acres), Trust lands (23,000 acres), and Family lands (3,000 acres). At Collins, we are committed to building a better world. As a family-owned company founded in 1855, this begins with our commitment to land and resource stewardship on our 370,000 acres of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified forest lands. With operations in California, Oregon, and Pennsylvania, we manufacture softwood and hardwood lumber, particleboard, and hardboard siding.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop direct reports (including the areas of land management, harvest management, procurement, and log sales), and ensure the mentorship and development of the broader Resources team.
- Ensure the department remains focused on the company’s mission and core values.
- Ensure all activities are done safely and all personnel are fully trained to perform their work safely.
- Responsible for financial and business management of the operations of these forests, including performance analysis, annual budgeting, and reporting.
- Direct silvicultural decision-making and long-term forest management plans for the CPF.
- Execute annual objectives regarding acres treated, harvest/procurement volume, and log sales.
- Keep up to date with changes to legislation and other developments as it relates to the CPF.
- Responsible for contracts, agreements, and bids related to land and harvest management.
- Ensure positive working relationship with local contractors and ensure legal compliance.
- Liaise with public and local authorities as needed regarding public lands, public policy, and use of municipal roads.
- Coordinate with operations manager and division controller regarding operations and finances to benefit the company, landowners, and external stakeholders.
- Monitor the quantity and quality of logs being delivered to appropriate markets.
- Establish the local log values by grade monthly.
- Participate as a Collins representative with various professional groups (Society of American Foresters, Allegheny Hardwood Utilization Group, Pennsylvania Forestry Association, Allegheny Forest Health Collaborative, Ecosystem Management Advisory Committee.
- Be the primary Kane contact for the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) annual audits and maintain FSC certification for both Forest Management (FM) and Chain of Custody (COC).
- Lead the efforts regarding strategic land opportunities to strengthen the position of the CPF.
- Be an agent for the Collins Pennsylvania Trust.
- Other duties as assigned.
Selects, retains, and manages the resource staff.
- Responsible for performance management of direct reports in accordance with company values, objectives, and policies.
- Provides mentoring, coaching, training, and support consistent with developing and sustaining a high-performing and accountable team.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of effective team management and leading a team.
- Accountability to employees that they have the knowledge, tools, and resources needed to safely, effectively, and efficiently complete their work.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written are required along with computer skills including spreadsheets (Excel), word processing, and presentations (PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge of regional silviculture and land management is required.
- Working knowledge and proficiency in harvest management and forestry technology is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and negotiating skills are required.
- Knowledge of FSC FM and CoC Standard principles and criteria, or experience with other certification systems, is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license and safe driving record is required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor or Associate level degree in Forestry or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Forest or Harvest Management or similar field.
- Prior supervisory experience with a multi-disciplinary team in a dynamic working environment is required.